Monday, October 11, 2010

Tips for Choosing a Title for a Paper

I'm having a harder time than usual in deciding on a title for our latest paper. For some reason none of the alternatives I have seem good. So I looked on the web for some ideas and the following seem to be the key useful ones:

1. Make sure there are the main keywords in your title. You may think that your abstract will handle that. Google Scholar thinks otherwise.

2. Shorter is better than longer, subject to condition 1.

3. Active language is better than passive. One site I encountered favored the opposite resulting in really boring titles.

4. Get the most important idea first in the title - this was not something I had really thought of. That means I have to choose the most important idea :)

Now I have even more potential titles than before!

No comments:

Post a Comment